David Scott (D-GA-13)
David Scott Congressman Georgia District 13
David Scott Biography from House.gov
Biography of David Albert Scott
David Scott is the U.S. Representative for the 13th District of Georgia. He is serving in his fourth term representing portions of 6 counties: Cobb, Clayton, Douglas, Fulton, Henry and DeKalb. Congressman Scott sits on a number of influential committees including:
• The Financial Services Committee – International Monetary Policy and Financial Institutions
• The Agriculture Committee – Livestock, Dairy and Poultry Subcommittee.
• NATO Parliamentary Assembly – Vice-Chair of the Science and Technology Committee.
Congressman Scott is providing leadership in strengthening our economy, improving healthcare, enhancing education and fostering energy independence. He is taking a leadership role on the following issues in Congress:
• Led the fight to pass Children’s Health Insurance Protection Act extension (Peachcare)
• Continues the fight to bring commuter rail to the Atlanta suburbs
• Fought to direct more stimulus funding to foreclosure relief
• Authored the law providing student loan repayment assistance for public attorneys
• Authored the law recognizing Fathers Day by flying the flag
• Helped establish the Arabia Mountain National Heritage Area
• Authored the law to allow Georgians to request two free credit reports annually
Congressman Scott served in the Georgia House of Representatives 1974 – 1982 and the Georgia Senate 1983 – 2002. As a State Senator, he authored the law giving breast cancer patients and their physicians the right to determine their length of stay in the hospital and their level of medical treatment. In addition, he authored the law creating a moment of quiet reflection each morning in public schools. He also authored the law that keeps landfills from being developed in residential neighborhoods.
David Scott was born in Aynor, South Carolina and attended elementary school in Scranton, Pennsylvania, Junior High School in Scarsdale, New York, and High School in Daytona Beach, Florida. He received his BA degree with honors from Florida A&M University. He received his MBA degree with honors from the Wharton School of Finance at the University of Pennsylvania.
He is married to the former Alfredia Aaron and has two daughters, a son-in-law, and two grandchildren. Congressman Scott is the son of a minister and is a man of strong faith and conviction.
Do you know where you still on the political spectrum? See “Political Beliefs, Where Are You” to find out where you stand.