Mary Jo Kilroy (D-OH-3)
Mary Jo Kilroy
Mary Jo Kilroy Congressional Candidate Ohio District 3
Biography of Mary Jo Kilroy from Kilroy for Congress
The proud daughter of a pipefitter, Mary Jo has fought for working people for more than 19 years as a public servant at the local and county level, then in Congress. As a public school mother, Mary Jo first ran for office in 1991, winning and serving two terms on the Columbus Board of Education.
Franklin County voters elected Mary Jo to her first term as a Franklin County Commissioner in 2000, and then re-elected her in 2004. Mary Jo served as the President of the Franklin County Board of Commissioners between 2005 and 2007.
In 2008, Mary Jo was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives and represented the people of central Ohio during the 111th Congress. Mary Jo served as a member of the House Committee on Financial Services, the House Homeland Security Committee and the Congressional Task Force on Competitiveness.
In Congress Mary Jo led the successful effort to pass legislation that ended the Wall Street bailout and put historic new restrictions on the way the big Wall Street banks operate. It also created the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau, now lead by Ohio’s own Richard Cordray. She stood with President Obama and voted twice to pass vital healthcare reform and helped bring much-needed federal Recovery Act funding to Columbus and central Ohio for infrastructure improvements, job retention and creation and vital services. She also voted to end the Iraq war and bring our troops home.
In 2011, Mary Jo worked tirelessly to stop attacks on worker rights and voting rights. She not only signed the petitions to end Senate Bill 5 and House Bill 194, she also circulated petitions and went door-to-door and made phone calls to urge Ohioans to get involved and stop these bad bills.
Mary Jo received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Cleveland State University and her Juris Doctorate from The Ohio State University. She is married to Robert Handelman and has two daughters, Julia and Rosa, and two dogs, Chase and Dodger.
Biography of Mary Jo Kilroy from Congress.gov
Former Representative from Ohio
- born in Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio
- April 30, 1949
- B.A., Cleveland State University, Cleveland, Ohio, 1977
- J.D., Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, 1980
- lawyer, private practice
- Columbus (Ohio) board of education, 1992-1999
- president, Columbus (Ohio) board of education, 1999
- unsuccessful candidate for the Ohio state senate, 1996
- Franklin County (Ohio) board of commissioners, 2001-2008
- president, Franklin County (Ohio) board of commissioners, 2005-2007
- unsuccessful candidate for the United States House of Representatives in 2006
- elected as a Democrat to the One Hundred Eleventh Congress (January 3, 2009-January 3, 2011)
- unsuccessful candidate for reelection to the One Hundred Twelfth Congress in 2010.