Campaign links: Richard Rivette (R-NC-Sen. 38)
Richard Rivette Congressional Candidate Texas District n
Biography of Richard Rivette from Liberty and Justice for All Committee
- Grew up in rural area, with a single mother during the 1960s, helping raise a younger brother in less than ideal circumstances.
- Studied to excel and gain scholarships during secondary school – winning awards for language, art, science, and lettering in debate.
- Worked from age 13 as a janitor, dishwasher, later as a busboy and prep cook in restaurants his entire youth.
- In high school founded the school newspaper and built a graphic arts shop for which he won an award from the Western Publishing Company.
- Earned a Governor’s Art award and had his work on display in the state legislature.
- Took charge of advertising sales to fund the class yearbook since the school had no funds during an austerity budget crisis.
- Produced live entertainment to raise money to help fund the sports programs.
- Worked to attend college in New York, studying marketing, communications, and advertising, while living in the South Bronx helping to care for his elderly blind grandmother – whose family immigrated legally to this country in 1905-1908.
- Learned about issues facing disabled seniors at that time.
- In Florida, he pursued a career in advertising, marketing and communications, first for smaller firms, then, securing a position with a national firm that had contracts with NASA and the Space Shuttle. Unfortunately, shortly after his arrival the company experienced 75% job losses due to executive mismanagement.
- Using the layoff as a springboard, he launched his own company and began cultivating clients in the region, and ultimately throughout the United States and Caribbean.
- When starting his first company, he had to finance equipment at 24% interest, so he understands where our current economy is headed, if we do not make haste in correcting the situation.
- As a creative director, he also wrote and produced music for professional stage productions and served as technical director for over 120 regional shows over a five-year period.
- Over the following 30-year period he served as a consultant over a wide range of marketing, research, planning and communications projects in two dozen industrial categories including manufacturing, financial, insurance, healthcare, environmental engineering, telecommunications, construction, real estate, travel & tourism, computer software, housewares, publishing, retail furniture, health products, appliances, apparel, food products and more.
- In the early 1980s, at the beginning of the computer revolution, Mr. Rivette became an evangelist supporting Apple and the proliferation of laser digital composition and document creation using the newly introduced Macintosh. He studied the adaptability and interface of the computers, mating them with the compositing systems to create a laser printer driver for a private printing company.
- At this time, he added computer networking and software instruction to his repertoire working on the presentation for IBM as it introduced the first LAN.
- He steadily gained a client list as he assisted small to medium size businesses to convert to the information age.
- Among these business leaders, he found mentors. As he educated them on computers, networking and provided his creative talents to write, design and produce their materials, he gained an expanded education on business, industry, and the importance of capitalism by many people who grew something from nothing.
- In the late 1980s, he began his education in environmental issues and regulations while working with clients involved in remediation of toxic waste and issues surrounding major pipelines.
- During this time, he helped a large multi-national environmental engineering firm to secure a one hundred million dollar proposal. This spear-headed a life-long interest and concern for keeping our environment clean and balancing the needs of business with those of our ecosystems.
MANAGING INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
- In the early 1990s, he had developed a reputation for providing advertising support and business development materials and advice.
- His networks began to stretch across the oceans and he began analyzing and developing manufactured goods for domestic and international markets.
- His experience includes working directly with clients and concerns in the European Union, China & Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea, India, Afghanistan, South Africa, West Africa, Ecuador, Chile, Peru, Brazil, Mexico, and the Caribbean.
- His packaged work, and support materials appeared on television infomercials, and in regional and national chains, such as Kmart, Wal-Mart, Target, and dozens of others. His efforts were key to supporting over $100 million in direct product sales worldwide and the creation of several dozen brands.
- For these projects, he had to learn to work in multiple languages, although not fluently, using French and Spanish, among others.
- During this phase of business growth, he returned to college to study Psychology, Sociology, Constitutional and Criminal Law, and Spanish.
- In the mid-1990s, recognized for his ability to conduct intensive research, he was also asked to review investigations involving high level criminal cases by the legal community.
- He spent five years assigned by state and Federal judiciary as a licensed private investigator to criminal matters, in addition to running his own marketing concern.
- He also worked on anti-counterfeiting cases and wrote summaries for mitigating circumstances in capital criminal cases working as the defense investigator for those who faced the death penalty.
IN NORTH CAROLINA
- He continued to consult clients worldwide, expanding his catalogue of work supporting in excess of a billion dollars in client sales.
- His materials have been seen on QVC, HSN, online, and in most major stores.
- He worked for a multi-national corporation rewriting their proposal shell, troubleshooting publishing issues and supported the development of new Fortune 1000 accounts. For his various efforts, he was named North American Associate of the Year.
- Over the next decade, he consulted medical and healthcare clients in various parts of the country.
- For other clients, he formed startups in categories such as: boating, resorts, manufactured housing, and appliances – establishing brands and developing entirely new market opportunities which lead to expanded job creation.
- He built national dealer networks and created trade show presence for various firms, including international export support for American manufacturers.
- In reaction to the economy of the past three years, he has stepped in to help save companies by defining new markets, altering products, and connecting companies with investors.
- Expert at writing RFP responses for large bids, he secured contracts for American companies to sustain HUD zone firms through the current economy in excess of $1.8 billion dollars.
GIVING BACK EXPERTISE
His whole life, he quietly gave of his time to a wide range of charitable organizations, helping with fundraising and many other items:
- Fundraised for public libraries, children’s charities and medical charities.
- Served on homeowner’s board of directors and founded a community theatre board.
- He worked on many projects to raise money for those in need including Haitian refugees and displaced Hurricane Andrew families.
He volunteered for many causes long before it became fashionable as touted by the government.
When others had shied away from confrontation, he and his wife organized rallies against the Klan. He believes in the equal rights of the Constitution and that we should all have equal opportunity if we are to survive as a nation.
LEADERSHIP FOR HAITIAN RECONSTRUCTION
His product analysis and development skills combined with international business background helped propel him into his most charitable and challenging efforts to date:
- On January 12, 2010, when the earthquake struck Haiti he put his business on hold for months, and helped gather a consortium of manufacturers and developers to attack the problem of homelessness in Haiti, to provide inexpensive yet durable and effective housing for the hundreds of thousands of displaced persons.
- The housing was inherently planned to counter the effects of disease, hurricanes, earthquakes and many other issues.
- The U.S. State Department requested that FEMA authorized contractors step up to collaborate and Mr. Rivette was integral to part of the private sector effort.
- As a representative for clients, he participated in several high level conferences in Washington and Miami.
- He chaired and gave the opening statement at the Global Conference on Reconstruction for Haiti, joining industry and government leaders in conference.
- Submitted comprehensive housing plans and materials for the Clinton/Bush foundation.
- Met with members of the Haitian government and the professional Haitian Diaspora community worldwide.
- For months, he also consulted with industry leaders, and then to discuss proposals with the U.S. Commerce Secretary Locke at the industrial gathering in Washington, D.C.
- He promoted the integration of experienced businesses with the NGOs in the field, the U.S. and Haitian governments, and prepared for the installation of demonstration housing models on the island.
- He also designed a model city plan to include a more modern infrastructure to counter known diseases and security issues.
This work also positioned his clients for providing disaster assistance in Chile after their earthquake, and for mining concerns in West Africa.
ACHIEVING OVER ADVERSITY
Mr. Rivette knows personally what it is like to start out with nothing, work against adversity to achieve, and help others grow their ideas. Now, he would like to have a hand in providing an atmosphere conducive to job creation in North Carolina.
Having spent a lifetime acquiring new skills and knowledge in a wide range of industries, as well as an understanding of government regulation compliance, and the creation of jobs for many companies, Mr. Rivette feels he is poised to serve this state and make decisions that could alleviate budget problems, improve education, eliminate crime, support public services, solve complex issues, and provide North Carolina with new impetus to move forward financially.
Currently, he is back in Charlotte, consulting new businesses. His work in April 2012 includes two newly formed companies hiring in Georgia for new healthcare products, and three new product lines for companies in the Northeast U.S. He is expanding on-air brand lines, and bringing an entirely new personal care product to market throughout the U.S. creating manufacturing jobs in New York and on the East Coast.
He has been married to the same woman for over 25 years and they have been blessed with one child, whom they home-school. He is a homeschooling father assisting with his son’s education. He hopes to befriend many people during this campaign and learn more about his neighbors. He believes that everyone can have a seat at the table.