Campaign links: Fred Steen (R-NC-8)
Fred Franklin Steen, II
Fred Steen Congressional Candidate North Carolina District 8
Biography of Fred Steen from Fred Steen for Congress
Fred Steen has spent his entire life in North Carolina. He was born in Cabarrus Memorial Hospital, attended school in Cabarrus County and graduated from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Before serving in public office Steen worked as an Engineer in Textile Mills for Fieldcrest Cannon (Rowan, Cabarrus and Scotland), Stedman-Hanes (Robeson and Randolph), and Collins- Aikman (Stanly). He and his wife Tena operate a small business in Kannapolis and reside in Landis where they raised their two children.
Since 2004 Fred currently has served as the District 76 Representative for the North Carolina State House. He is the Chair of Public Utilities and Vice Chair of Commerce and Development.
- Representative Steen Received a 100% conservative rating by the American Conservative Union,
- Is Ranked 4th on The North Carolina Free Enterprise Foundation Legislative Business Ratings.
- Awarded “Legislative Leader 2009” by the Sportsmen’s & Animal Owners’ Voting Alliance,
- Has a Lifetime Score of “A” from the National Rifle Association Political Victory Fund.
Prior to serving in the State House Fred was elected Mayor of Landis North Carolina 5 times. As Mayor Fred
- Served as Chairman of the Cabarrus-Rowan Metropolitan Planning Organization MPO (Transportation).
- Added second fire station in Landis with no increase in tax rate to citizens.
- Implement an Economic Development policy for the town which helped create jobs and bring in new industries, like Pinnacle Corrugated, into Landis.
Before becoming an entrepreneur Fred worked as an engineer in the Textile Industry throughout the state.
- Fieldcrest Cannon (Rowan, Cabarrus and Scotland)
- Stedman-Hanes (Robeson and Randolph)
- Collins- Aikman (Stanly)
Over the years Fred has been actively involved in the community and his church.
- Lifetime member, First Baptist Church, Kannapolis
- Gideon’s International, Rowan-South Camp
- Rotary Club, Kannapolis
- Landis Lions Club, Landis
- Past President of the Rowan Municipal Association
- Past Board Member of the American Red Cross, Elizabeth H. Dole Chapter, Salisbury, NC
- Past Board Member for Southern Select Community Credit Union, Kannapolis, NC